Progress…


After a few more delays due to our own coordination issues, we are finally making some progress.

On the outside

1. EIFS

The EIFS (Exterior Insulation Finishing System) work started.  Robey Stucco is doing a great job.  I have to say, I really like the look and feel of it.  Additionally, it’s a great way to break some of those thermal bridges!

EIFS

EIFS With base coat

I have to agree with my professor though that because it is too easy to manipulate, it invites bad architecture.

Here’s a funny one…

2. Siding

Our siding installation also started.  We decided to go with primed cement shingle siding made by Nichiha.  The price of pre-painted is just too high and considering we will most likely still have to touch it up, we went with primed.  I think we will end up with a better finish anyways.

Siding installation

3. Window Trim Detail

We spent some time implementing the window details Matt (our architect at ZAVOS) designed for us.  Essentially, we fabricated a metal flashing that gets placed at an angle, right in between the Grace Vycor and the Tremco Trio, we left the weep holes open, then placed a piece of PVC trim on top, also set at an angle.  Then we caulked the joint between the window frame and the PVC trim.  I think between the trim, caulk, metal flashing and the Vycor, water will find its way out.

Here’s the final result.

Window Trims

On the Inside

1. Bamboo

We stacked the bamboo and let them acclimatize for almost a week.  Then Raul and his guys started installing the really hard grass.

Bamboo Stacks

Bamboo Installation

One thing I had a lot of difficulty understanding was why an underlayment is necessary when installing hardwood.  As far as I can tell, the underlayment serves two purposes: moisture barrier and mitigating uneven subfloor.  I can see using it in the basement where it can be more moist.  But for the rest of the house, moisture should not be a problem.  Also, if the subfloor is uneven, it should really be smoothed out a bit before installation.  The biggest problem I had with underlayment is that installers typically use 15lb Asphalt felt for this purpose.  This is disturbing to me.  I finally gave in when I found AguaBar, which is still asphalt based but at least does not smell like tar and emit VOCs like crazy.

Aquabar “B”

So, that’s it for now.  With the drywall done, flooring in place and the exterior underway, this project is counting down to its eventual completion.  We have mixed feelings about it.  It’s a relief to be where we are and we can’t wait to get it done but at the same time, we are going to need to start marketing this baby and eventually sell it…  I guess we shouldn’t get too attached.

About these ads

2 responses to this post.

  1. btw, the Bamboo is so hard that our installer wore out two saw blades in one day.

    Reply

  2. Well that’s nice to hear! (Although we’re sorry about the saw.)

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 616 other followers

%d bloggers like this: